
So I have been seriously considering becoming a marriage therapist. I don't know exactly when I would persue this adventure, but I am most definately intrigued. Intrigued as I am, I am also slightly leary of welcoming strangers into an office and inviting them to reveal their deepest troubles, frustrations, and sorrows with me. Basically its a job for really tough or really insane people. Perhaps I fall into one of those categories.
In all honesty I think therapy would be a grand adventure of a career. Yes, people bring their baggage and dirty laundry to you as an "expert" on marriage, and maybe yell and scream, and curse...but people also bring courage with them because it takes a lot of guts to willingly seek help when life becomes unmanagable.
I personally am not very good at doing that. I don't know where I got this idea from, but I often feel like I have to be the superwoman of my life and I avoid asking for help because I feel like its a sign of weakness - and I hate admitting to imperfection (which is silly because it is nothing to be ashamed of, everyone on this planet is imperfect, so why do I expect myself to be perfect?). More people need to ask for help. When did complete independence from everyone and everything become an admirable characteristic? When did it stop being okay to fall apart and cry for hours and lean on a friendly shoulder for support? When did we stop placing value on interdependency? Asking for help is a simple (and sometimes very difficult) thing to do, but it has power to bring people together as we allow our weakness and vulnerablity to show, all the while trusting that our helper will care for us in the most loving and gentle way.
Who knows if I will actually become a therapist in the formal sense, but I do hope that I can be the kind of person that others can turn to when they need a shoulder to cry on.
1 comment:
If you became a therapist I would totally go to you. In any case, you're already a great listener so you've got a head-start on the rest of us.
Post a Comment