Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Real love is...


I am willing to bet that you have seen this image before. It is a famous Hollywood depiction of love and passion from the movie, From Here to Eternity. You may have seen this scene, but have you ever watched the movie? I watched this movie a long while ago thinking that there would be a great love story with lots of substance behind this famous scene. It's extremely disappointing because it turns out the movie is all about men and women who have no respect for marriage. This woman is married, and this man works for her husband in the army. This scene portrays some ideal of love and passion but it's really a depiction of two dishonest, rather selfish people. They don't even end up together in the end... this beach scene was just a silly fling yet when we see the image we thing of how romantic it is and how in love they must be to disregard buckets of sand and salt water being forced upon them. But the reality is that this scene is depicting two people who choose not to control their hormones. I guess my point is don't buy into things that seem like love on the surface, because it probably isn't real love.

Real love is faithful commitment.
Real love is bringing your wife mashed potatoes after she wakes up from surgery just because she told you that is what sounds good to her after surgery.
Real love is working hard to make it work.
Real love is writing love notes to your wife just because she likes them.
Real love is supportive and encourages you to be your best.
Real love is kindness.
Real love is a willingness to do things with your love even if you might not be interested.
Real love is laughter and happiness.
Real love is being more concerned about each other than you are about yourself.
Real love is respect.
Real love is passion and romance AND facing the hard stuff together.
Real love is joyful.
Real love is peaceful and content.
Real love is accepting each other as is, while encouraging each other to become better.
Real love is seeing your wife's great potential even when all she can do physically is lie on the couch all day because her back.
Real love is the glue that keeps you together when you are going through a trial.
Real love is gentle and strong at the same time.
Real love is honest.
Real love is helping to pick up the slack when your wife can't do the things around the house the way she used to, and not being upset about it.
Real love is selfless a flexible.
Real love includes God.
Real love is saying you're sorry because you really are... and
Real love is forgiveness over and over and over again.

The list could go on for a long time. I wrote all of this because I have been thinking a lot about how blessed I am to know and experience what real romantic love is because there a lot of people who don't know what real love looks and feels like. I do. And I am so lucky. And it is all because of this guy:


I love him to the moon and back. And he love me.


Everyone deserves to be loved like I am loved. I hope you are. I hope you are blessed enough to know what real love is really all about.

Much love,
Kristin

4 comments:

torri said...

What a great post, I'm so glad I know what real love is too! You are so gorgeous Kristen. Jealous. :)

Melissa @ Bookmark Dragon said...

The shots of you guys are WAY hotter than the movie beach pic.

Unknown said...

Mel's got it right. You guys are a million times better. You make me very happy and hopeful.

Nat said...

i don't know... those short shorts on that guy are mighty hot. i always did like a little bit of leg. :)
thanks for reminding us about true love, kris. sometimes i forget and then i realize it's sitting across from me at the dinner table. hope you're doing so well and your back is treating you better!