Saturday, October 25, 2008

Six Pack



Good news! I saw the neurosurgen and I do NOT need back surgery!!! I was almost positive that I was going to leave the doctors office with a surgery date scheduled, but that didn't happen. This is what the doctor told me:
  • I have a weak back due to genetics
  • I have some osteoarthritis in my facet joints - there is no proven treatment or cure for it
  • I need to build and maintain strong core muscles - a six pack will support my back and reduce the pressure that is on my discs by up to 80%!
  • I will go to ten physical therapy treatments
  • I am not allowed to run because it places to much strain on the discs in my back, but I can do other low impact exercises like biking, walking, swimming, etc.
  • I am going to need to be VERY careful with my back for the rest of my life. I need to be careful with twisting, bending, and lifting things.
  • No more lifting heavy things
  • I can live a normal, pain free life as long as I am careful and take care of myself!
And that is GREAT news!

Dara Torres is a true inspiration when it comes to staying in shape - even at 41 years old and after having a baby - and I am definitely inspired by her strength and commitment to taking care of her body. And let's be honest - who wouldn't be inspired by those abs?

1 comment:

Brandon said...

Yay! I'm glad you won't need surgery! I propose that you put a before and after 6-pack picture. Do it... do it....
(it's nat by the way.)