I have a shallow disc bulge between my L4 and L5 vertebra as well as between my L5 and S1 vertebra. The main problem however is that I have a huge disc extrusion between my L3 and L4 vertebra. My doctor explained that an extrusion is basically an extreme herniated disc and that it is the most serious form of a bulging disc. The MRI showed that the disc is bulging 13 mm beyond where it should be. I should be in even more pain than I am, but I am blessed with a larger than normal spinal column and therefore have extra space to be able to handle the disc problem with less pain.
I will continue to receive chiropractic care, but on Friday I will receive my first steroid epidural treatment (it will not numb my body like an epidural during labor would). The doctor will place a needle in my back to inject steroids into my disc which will help with inflammation, pain, and hopefully aid in the healing process. They will use an x-ray during the procedure to ensure that they place the needle in exactly the right place. This treatment is successful to varying degrees – sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn’t, but it is a less aggressive treatment than surgery, so it’s worth a try. These treatments can only be done every 4-6 months, so hopefully this treatment will help me feel better.
Surgery is very much a possibility, but I am going to try to other options before I resort to surgery. I will keep everyone updated and let you know what comes next as I work towards getting better. Thanks for all of the prayers, concern, love, and service that you have all rendered to Jonner and me – we really appreciate it!
This image is not of my back, but it is the best image I could find online that helps me understand what is going on. My disc problem is between my L3 and L4, but the disc between L3 and L4 is totally healthy and normal in this image, whereas this problem is between L5 and S1 (only 5% of disc problems occur between L3 and L4, so its hard to find an image of my specific problem). Also, this persons disc is only bulging 9 mm whereas mine is bulging 13 mm. No wonder I am in pain!!!

1 comment:
Girl--that so doesn't look like a walk in the park. I am sorry to hear that-- having also suffered back pain (though I'll hold my tongue next time I want to complain) I kind of understand. I hope the steroid injection alleviates some of that for you and that surgery this young can be avoided... if not, let me know... I've had several family members undergo surgery in UT-- some had better surgeons than others and I'd be happy to get a referral for you if need be! Take CARE!
Post a Comment