[That long white column should go straight down my spine, but my disc is definitely getting in the way!]I also had my epidural today which was fairly painful. The needle in my back was not that bad, but the pressure of the medicine going into my spinal column was quite painful. I thought that they put the epidural into the disc, but they really put it into my spinal column. It will not change the position of the disc in any way, instead it will hopefully provide relief from the pain. The fluid that my disc is leaking is acidic which irritates the nerves in my spinal column and the steroid helps to neutralize it and manage pain.
[You can also see how the two discs below the main problem are also slightly bulging out, though they are not nearly as serious.]The doctor who performed the procedure was very helpful and knowledgeable. He actually measured my extrusion to be 15 mm instead of 13 mm and he was really shocked at how severe the problem is when he looked at my MRI. He is of the opinion that people should avoid back surgery unless they really need it and he said that I really need it. I asked him if he would have surgery if it were his back and he said that he would. I am still open to other options, but the reality is that discs like this do not go back into place (though there is some debate on that topic). It might recede a little bit, but the doctor said he has only seen discs recede 1 mm.
[This picture is what my spine would look like if you cut me in half just like in a magic trick. You can see how far it protrudes out of the oval shape it should be in and you can also see how far to the left it is (I know it looks like its my right side, but its really my left side).]I am in the process of getting an appointment with a very good (world renowned actually) neurosurgeon here in Utah valley and we will see what he has to say. Keep me in your prayers! I could really use them.
3 comments:
Wow, sorry to hear you may have to go the surgery route! Keep us up-to-date and we'll definitely keep you in our prayers! Good luck!
holy crap...
i just got back from new mexico and THIS is what i find out?!?? dang chika you have some freaking high levels of pain tolerance. i'm calling you. now.
Oh my goodness--I just read everything about your back (I'm way behind on blogs) and I'm so sorry. You are definitely in my prayers. Back pain is so exhausting, but thankfully they know how to fix it. Please let me know if I can do anything at all!
Post a Comment