Last night Jonathan and I were invited to dinner with his co-worker and his wife. I had never met them before and they were super friendly, very gracious hosts as well as interesting people. He has a PhD in electrical engineering, she has a Masters in accounting and they have lots of interests and hobbies and intelligent things to say. I liked them a lot and hope they liked us too cause it'd be rad to hang out again.
As we drove home, I found myself slightly ensnared in the trap of feeling like your own life is less exciting, productive, meaningful, etc., when compared others. They are so well educated and traveled and have a lot of experience under their belts and I was starting to feel like maybe my life wasn't as great as theirs.
Then I came to my senses and realized that their lives are simply different from mine. They spend all day fixing complex engineering and accounting problems and get a big check every two weeks, and I spend my day picking up squashed kiwi off the floor, playing Mrs. Sockette (cause its a puppet AND a sock people), and trying to get sweet, slobbery kisses from Kylie (that's my paycheck). My life is a world apart from theirs, but I wouldn't trade my squashed kiwi for a PhD and a career, because I know that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing with my life right now.
Maybe that PhD (or at least a Masters degree) is somewhere in my future (I hope it is), but for now, I am going to choose to be content preparing meals of soft fruits and veggies, changing diapers, and reading Farm Friends for the 300th time because I want to enjoy this time and be really good at my 24/7 job.
2 comments:
You know, I have also come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what anyone else in the world thinks about my life except for me. All that matters is that I am content with my choices. I am glad that you are content with yours. Because you deserve contentedness. (I'm not actually sure if that's a word or not, but you get my drift. :) )
Booh! I thought there would be an actual trap like for bears. Or at least a pyramid marketing scheme...
Post a Comment