I was always a bit annoyed with my parents during the grade school years because all of my friends had middle names and I did not. When asked why they bequeathed no middle name to me they simply said, "Oh...well, your mom has no middle name and so we didn't really think about giving you one either." And I thought, 'Gee thanks mom and dad - glad to know you really put some effort into my identity!'
But now I am so glad that for 21 years I had to leave the 'middle initial' box on official forms empty because after I married Jonathan I was able to make my maiden name my legal middle name and now I can write M in that little box. So my middle name is officially Mortensen which I think is pretty much the best middle name I could ever have. I love that I am a Mortensen and I love that I am a Steck and having both on my drivers licence makes me happy.
So thanks mom and dad for being much wiser than I gave you credit for when I was 9. And you guessed it - our little girls will also have no middle name so that someday they can remain a Steck.... AND a Mortensen at heart.
But now I am so glad that for 21 years I had to leave the 'middle initial' box on official forms empty because after I married Jonathan I was able to make my maiden name my legal middle name and now I can write M in that little box. So my middle name is officially Mortensen which I think is pretty much the best middle name I could ever have. I love that I am a Mortensen and I love that I am a Steck and having both on my drivers licence makes me happy.
So thanks mom and dad for being much wiser than I gave you credit for when I was 9. And you guessed it - our little girls will also have no middle name so that someday they can remain a Steck.... AND a Mortensen at heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment