Sunday, May 31, 2009

Is my name really that complicated?

This has been driving me nuts most of my life and I thought I would blog about it to get it off my chest.

Strangers have a tendency to mispronounce my name after I introduce myself. Knowing this, I try very hard to pronounce my name slowly and clearly when I am meeting someone for the first time. Despite my best efforts people seem to only focus on the -k- sound and come up with their own variation of my name (i.e. Kirsten, Krissy, Kris, Kristina, Kristy, etc.)

No people. My name is KRISTIN. With an i - not an e.

So I correct them and say my name again and then they get it wrong again and then I resort to talking to them like they are hard of hearing..."My name is K-RR-I-SS-T-I-NN." Then most people finally get it right. And after all of that, some people still get it wrong and I resort to being called Kirstina or something strange like that for the remainder of our relationship.

Come on people. It's not that hard.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I hear ya. My first name isn't as complicated as yours, but Moorhead? Yeah. Let's just say I'm hoping Wilde won't be as much of a hassle.

mathistown said...

Allisen with an 'e'..I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from! And Allisen has tons of spellings as it is!

Unknown said...

I had someone ask me how to spell my first name the other day. Are there other ways to spell Heather? ...but I think he was just trying to cover for the fact that he didn't remember my name at all.

Cami said...

I'm with ya on this one! Cami- NOT Tami, Cammy or Carrie. And Crummett? Don't even get me started!