Thursday, May 26, 2011

A messy house and a happy baby. =)


It is 4:13 PM and I still haven't showered. And I can't remember whether or not I have brushed my today. I think I did... but then again maybe not.

I have several small mountains of laundry that are clean, but unfolded and more loads that need to be washed. The bed hasn't been made. I am not wearing my maternity clothes anymore (except one pair of pants) but they are still hanging in my closet.

I still haven't gotten around to cleaning one of the bathrooms even though it was one of my main goals last week. The kitchen is a tad messy (but mostly clean) and I have a feeling dinner isn't going to be too spectacular tonight. Baby things are strewn across the living room, and the garden that I weeded on Monday has yet to be planted.

Having so many things left undone would normally drive me crazy and send me into spasms of guilt and worry - not anymore. Motherhood has brought me a sense of real purpose to my life and I have never been more present and in the moment. And while I want to be a good homemaker with a clean and organized home, I am okay with it all. Getting into a groove is just going to take some time.


My house isn't perfect and I probably have bad breath, but I have fed (6 times today already), burped, changed (also 6 times), swaddled, rocked to sleep, played, read books, loved, kissed, and hugged Kylie all day long. I'd call that a successful day.
And it is only 4:24 PM.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Way to go for having such a fantastic perspective! When she's a little older, there will be time to get all of those things done--the newborn days go WAY TOO FAST to spend them cleaning. :) I am so glad that you are enjoying being a mom. Just think how all of your experiences up until now have helped shape you as a mother. What huge blessings!

mathistown said...

You're exactly right. You'll have a lifetime to have a clean house, but newborns grow so fast! Enjoy every minute!

Sam said...

I love her hair! Taylor's (Rikki's daughter) hair used to stick up like that when she was a baby. Too cute! I'm glad motherhood has been greater than you even expected. :) Keep the adorable pictures coming!

Nat said...

So glad you're enjoying motherhood! (as if you wouldn't) isn't it fun to finally be holding this thing you thought of all the time? it just gets more fun as they get older.