Wednesday, July 30, 2008

cReaTIve


There was a time in my life when I wasn't afraid to be creative. I was creative a lot back in the day... the day when our 'art mom' would come to our 4th grade class (which just so happened to also be my mom) and we would spend an hour creating art. In those days, I would follow the general idea of the assignment or prompt, but I would often take it in different directions and do my own thing - because frankly, I thought it was better (well, not better than my mom's version, but better than everyone else's.)

There were also the days in my advanced art class that I would take on a complex and difficult project because it would be fun. And even though it was only eighth grade advanced art, I was able to produce some pretty good artwork. I always looked forward to 7th period because it meant I could spend an hour being creative - being me. And even though there were cool kids there, namely Adam Hollingshead (totally had a crush on him), art class was more about leaving the world behind and entering into another place entirely. Some days, we just listed to Enya, or sat in silence as we focused on the projects we were working on. The silence wasn't mandatory - it happened naturally as each of us got lost in our work. Why couldn't algebra go by as fast as my art class and art class last as long as algebra?

High school art class wasn't that great. I had a poor teacher and I used that as an excuse to walk away from actively pursuing artistic creativity (though I was still creative via acting on the stage, at least until high school ended). I wish I would have stuck with it. But I am still young and I can pick it up again. And now that I actually have time (because I don't have homework, tests, papers, and finals to study for) my desire for and yearning to be creative has resurfaced. I think I will start small, but I am going to start something. To make sure I actually make time for it, I am going to promise to post a picture of my creativity on this blog in a week. Hold me to it.

2 comments:

Nat said...

i'm totally holding you to it. and i totally agree with your post, i was a much more creative back in the day, i think college killed a little bit of that.

Nat said...

ps i'm enjoying all this updating!